While searching for effective vitiligo cure methods, it is important to be familiar with the basics.
Vitiligo is a long-term skin condition that forms white-colored patches on the skin due to de-pigmentation. These patches form on specific parts of the skin. It generally starts on the hands, forearms, feet, and face.
Vitiligo is a long-lasting skin condition that results in color loss of the skin. It occurs when the melanocytes, cells that give skin their color, die or stop functioning.
What causes Vitiligo?
The exact cause of Vitiligo is complex and may not be fully understood. However, several factors contribute to its formation:
- immune system disorders
- stressful events
- genetic imbalance during oxidative stress
- exposure to certain chemicals
- neural or viral illnesses
All these factors can cause damage to the melanocytes (cells that are responsible for pigmentation and production of melanin in the skin). This damage will result in the absence of melanocytes and the appearance of white-colored patches, which is known as Vitiligo.
However, Vitiligo is not a contagious disease as it does not transmit from one person to another.
The extent of Vitiligo on the skin
Usually, Vitiligo’s extent on the skin is not easy to predict. However, in most cases, the affected area continues to remain as it is for years. Therefore, these patches may extend to other parts of the skin over time.
Signs and Symptoms of Vitiligo
Signs and symptoms of Vitiligo vary considerably in each case. These white patches can grow into larger patches in some people and cover larger areas of the skin. In others, they may stay the same or reduce with time. Thus, Vitiligo does not have a uniform distribution.
How is Vitiligo cured?
Steroids are helpful in vitiligo cure. But, you can use some at-home treatments to reduce the appearance of white patches.
You can try some of these effective vitiligo at-home treatments to see if they work in your case.
1. Psoralea seeds: This is known to be the best and most time-tested home treatment for Vitiligo.
How to use:
Take one gram powder of Psoralean seeds soaked for three days. Drink it with ginger juice or milk every day. Applying grounded Psoralea seeds on the white patches can also help. This will help restore the color of your skin by replicating the tanning effect of the sun.
2. Avoiding physical and mental stress can also be an effective cure. Stress disturbs the formation of skin cells responsible for its color and results in the overgrowth of white patches. Exercise regularly to keep stress away.
3. Lime juice and basil leaves: Anti-viral and anti-aging properties of basil can be beneficial.
How to use:
Applying the paste of basil leaves mixed in lime juice several times a day can improve melanin production in your skin.
4. Radish seeds: Another effective vitiligo home treatment is applying a paste of radish seeds, soaked overnight in a small amount of vinegar and a little white arsenic, on the white spots.
5. Copper-treated water: Another effective cure for Vitiligo is to drink water stored overnight in a copper utensil. It helps to promote the production of melanocytes along with toning the skin of the affected person.
6. Red clay: Red clay derived from the river beds can help reduce the pigmentation of vitiligo-affected skin as it contains copper. It can help cure de-pigmentation when applied to white spots. Mixing it with ginger juice increases blood flow to the skin.
7. Babchi seeds: One of the best vitiligo home treatments is applying the paste of shelled and dried babchi seeds. Combine with tamarind seeds, soak in water for three to four days. Then apply on the white patches. You should discontinue use if it causes itching or redness on white spots.
8. Turmeric: Another effective home cure for Vitiligo is applying turmeric mixed with mustard oil on white spots.
9. Ginkgo biloba: 40 mg dose of Ginkgo Biloba can stop Vitiligo growth and encourage the re-pigmentation of the skin effectively. It should be taken three times a day.
10. Figs: Eating raw figs can also be an effective vitiligo home treatment. They purify and improve blood circulation. Figs paste can also be applied on white patches to reduce the spread.
Vitiligo Diet Treatment
Dietary changes can also help cure Vitiligo effectively. Following food recommendations might be helpful:
Foods to Avoid in Vitiligo
You should avoid these foods listed to help lessen the effect of Vitiligo on the skin:
- Fruits: gooseberries, orange, guava, custard apple, cashew nuts, prunes, melon, and watermelon
- Vegetables: parsley, tomato, lemon, garlic, and tamarind.
- Dairy products: milk, buttermilk, curd, and red meats.
- Other food items like junk food, coffee, oily and spicy food items like pickles, and carbonated drinks can worsen the condition.
Foods that help in curing Vitiligo
The food items recommended for Vitiligo include the following:
- Vegetables like beetroot, radish, french beans, carrot, fenugreek, onion, spinach and potatoes.
- Fruits like grapes, mangoes, apricot, walnut, papaya, and dates.
- Pure ghee, wheat, bengal gram, red pepper, pistachio nut, jaggery, chilies, almond good additions.
These foods will help increase blood flow. Also, they encourage the growth of melanocytes in your skin to produce its re-pigmentation fast.
The Bottom Line
Although there are many at-home remedies to control the spread of Vitiligo or stop it at all. It is always a better idea to consult a physician who can explain your skin condition well and provide effective treatment.