Most people are getting aware of the medicinal properties of Cannabis, which is majorly from the active cannabinoid CBD. Scientists are exploring the effects of CBD on all parts of the human body system, both mental and physical. Anxiety is one of the major symptoms that can be prevented or cured by CBD. Mood swings fall under anxiety and mood disorder; this has prompted curiosity about CBD’s effects on Mood swings. CBD for Mood swings should be considered due to the positive effects of CBD on your mental health.
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is an active and prominent chemical that is found in Cannabis Sativa plants. CBD is a botanical and non-addictive compound, which belongs to a special group of components extracted from hemp. There are more than 100 naturally occurring chemicals called cannabinoids, which can be beneficial and useful in medicine.
CBD doesn’t possess psychoactive properties, which guarantees consumption without getting euphoric or “high” effects, as well as any form of intoxication. Such effects can be caused by another well-known cannabinoid Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), in cases of misuse. Although CBD based products sometimes include traces of THC chemicals, the little concentration doesn’t cause a “high,” which ensures a risk-free treatment.
Let’s explore ways by which CBD can effectively prevent or manage mood swings and disorder.
Nitty Gritty of Mood Swings.
What are Mood Swings?
Mood swings are excessive or abrupt changes in your frame of mind. Your mood may suddenly shift from joy and euphoria to extreme sadness or terror, and then on to another emotion. In some cases, mood changes affect your environment or circumstances, although the mood’s intensity might seem out of proportion with the event’s significance. In other cases, mood swings may occur for no apparent reason.
Causes of Mood Swings.
- Moods are the consequences of an interplay of chemicals in the brain. this means that the cause of mood swings is not known, but they may be related to imbalances in these chemicals.
- Mood swings can occur as a symptom of psychiatric disorders, such as bipolar disorder or borderline personality disorder.
- It may also result from a medical condition that directly affects the central nervous system, such as dementia, brain tumors, meningitis, and stroke.
- Mood swings can also result from conditions that deprive the brain of nutrients and oxygen, such as lung and cardiovascular diseases.
- Substance abuse, medication side effects, and hormonal changes are other potential causes of mood swings.
- Academic, employment, financial, legal, and relationship problems may result from mood swings.
Benefits of CBD for Mood Swings.
1. CBD regulates your mood through the Endocannabinoid System.
CBD maintains balance in the endocannabinoid system in the body. These endocannabinoids control serotonin and dopamine levels within the central nervous system’s endocannabinoid system. As a recent publication in the medical journal Neuropharmacology, several studies have shown this to be the case.
While there’s not enough direct evidence to prove this claim, it appears more and more likely that this may be the case. Several studies and clinical trials, including publications in Current Neuropharmacology and the Journal of Neuroscience, have reiterated the role of the endocannabinoid network in establishing and maintaining mental health and emotional well-being, in addition to acting as central regulators of our moods and emotions. This proves that CBD for mood swings might just be effective after all. Let’s go through the processes by which CBD helps with mood swings through the endocannabinoid system;
- The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is an innate (naturally occurring inside the human body) network of cannabinoids and cannabinoid receptors. The ECS carries out dozens of roles in whole-body homeostasis – from hormonal release in the thyroid gland to neural communication in the CNS and even insulin production in the pancreas’ islet cells.
- Under normal circumstances, these naturally-occurring cannabinoids (such as anandamide) interact with naturally-occurring cannabinoid receptors (such as the CB-1 and CB-2 receptors) to establish a full range of homeostatic regulation and internal cellular balance.
- Thus, when there is a deficiency within the ECS, any number of bodily or neurologic functions might be thrown entirely off-balance. In these cases, natural cannabis compounds like CBD can help re-establish and rebuild the proper cell-to-cell interactions within the endogenous cannabinoid/receptor network.
2. CBD can help with mood swings by reducing anxiety.
Mood swings result from neurochemical irregularities in the brain’s limbic system (hypothalamus, hippocampus, and amygdala). They are responsible for managing emotional conditions such as stress, anxiety, and depression. After consuming CBD for mood swings, cannabinoids transmit signals to the brain to reduce anxiety, calm down a mental state, or provide pain relief. The brain can receive these signals from naturally produced cannabinoids in the organism and cannabinoids from the CBD products.
Side effects of CBD for mood swings.
Like any other drug or medication, CBD oil has its side effects. It’s usually a well-tolerated product; however, in some cases, it can cause dry mouth, diarrhea, loss of appetite, drowsiness, or fatigue. Also, CBD may not be compatible with other medications and food supplements. Contemporaneous intake may diminish the beneficial effects of either CBD or other medicaments.
How to use CBD for Mood swings?
If you plan to use CBD for mood swings, there are four major ways to consume it;
- Oral: This includes tinctures, capsules, sprays, and oils. You can use CBD oil dose by dose for your mood swings. one can also use CBD spray directly on the tongue for a faster effect.
- Edible: Drinks and foods, such as CBD-infused gummies, are now widely available.
- Vaping: Vaping with CBD oil is one way to quickly ingest the compounds. However, there’s some debate over the long-term safety of this method. In addition, it can also cause coughing and throat irritation.
- Topical: CBD-infused beauty products, lotions, and creams are a big business right now. These products incorporate CBD into things you apply directly to your skin. However, this formulation is likely best for pain, not mental health uses.