Over the years, CBD has gained popularity in the health industry, and this is fast spreading to the beverage industry. CBD is everywhere, online, in shops, pharmacies, and so on, in different forms. What about CBD infused Alcohol drinks? Let’s find out.
You can find it in CBD oils, capsules, gummies, concentrates, topicals, vape juice, and products for pets. This has led to alcohol manufacturers putting CBD in alcoholic drinks like CBD infused wine, beer, and other alcoholic drinks.
CBD in alcoholic drinks is a mixture of two substances with negating effects. While CBD is a strong antioxidant and neuroprotectant, Alcohol is a neurotoxin. There are still doubts as to mixing CBD in alcoholic drinks. Let examine these substance one by one;
What is CBD?
Cannibidiol also known as CBD is a natural substance that can be found in cannabis. Compared to THC, CBD doesn’t make people high nor does it contain any psychoactive properties found in marijuana.
Different research has shown the promising health benefits and effects of CBD which include reduction of pain, removing anxiety and improving skin health.
What is Alcohol?
Alcohol, also known as ethanol , is the main psychoactive property in beverages which causes drunkenness. It is made from yeast that processes sugar in rich carbohydrates food like potatoes.
Alcohol is one of the world’s most used intoxicants. It can affect your mind and reasoning and compromise your motor skills and cognitive functions. It removes self control and makes people exhibit behaviors that they regret after realizing it.
Short term side effect of alcohol include ;
- Lack of self control.
- Impaired Judgment
- Diarrhea and so on
Long term effects of alcohol include ;
- Liver disease
- Neck damage
- Alcohol poisoning
- Malnutrition and so on
CBD in Alcohol drinks: Is it advisable to mix?
Research is still ongoing on the effects of putting CBD in alcohol drinks and how they interact with each other. CBD moves with the body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS controls vital biological functions, keeping the body in the state of equilibrium.
CBD also signals several receptor pathways in the body like CB1 and CB2 cannabinoid receptors thus helping to regulate inflammation, immune system and so on.
The impacts of CBD depends on individuals because of the difference in our body systems. There are at least a few genetic mutations of the CB2 receptor, which may produce different responses to CBD.
This means that the response of individuals to CBD infused alcohol drinks will vary. Let’s divulge into research on CBD in Alcohol drinks ;
Effects of CBD infused Alcohol Drinks
1). They might increase each other’s effects.
Alcohol has the ability to reduce inhibitions and boost feelings if relaxation. CBD on the other hand is known for it’s sweet and soothing effect for relaxation.
Studies have shown that CBD has shown that it can cure anxiety and reduce stress. CBD in alcohol drinks will amplify the effect leading to sedation and increased sleepiness. Some claim that CBD in Alcohol drinks can lead to change in mood and behavior
It also caused impairment in motor performances and alteration in the perfect holiday.
2). CBD in Alcohol drinks could reduce alcohol ‘s side effects.
Studies have proved that CBD in alcohol drinks can reduce the adverse effect of alcohol on the body. Here are ways that CBD could improve on the effects of alcohol.
- CBD in alcohol drinks can protect against cell damages caused by alcohol consumption.
- Studies have also shown that CBD in alcohol drinks can reduce liver toxicity caused by alcohol.
- It helped against alcohol induced fatty liver diseases by improving autophagy.
- CBD in alcohol drinks can help lower the blood alcohol levels in the body.
3). CBD in alcohol drinks can help with hangovers
CBD might be of no use with the immediate intoxication caused by alcohol, but it can be used with symptoms from a hangover that includes headache, nausea, increased blood pressure, etc.
The antioxidant and neuroprotective properties contained in CBD makes it the best option for treatment from a hangover. Though each body system is unique and reacts differently to CBD treatment, CBD can reduce a hangover’s effects.
If you want to enjoy the relaxing experience without alcohol-induced intoxication, you can mix CBD with cocktail recipes, skipping the liquor, and having a healthy drink in a social setting.
5). CBD for Alcohol Use disorder and withdrawal.
Earlier in the article, we’ve mentioned the potential benefits of CBD in alleviating the hangover symptoms, but could it also help manage the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal? .
There are no enough claims to back it up but it does help reduce the risk of alcohol withdrawals by promoting internal balance and helping with some of their symptoms.
- In a 2014 study published in the journal Free Radical Biology and Medicine, the researchers asserted that CBD can reduce liver toxicity associated with alcohol in mice. The study found that CBD protected the livers of the subjects from steatosis (fatty liver disease) caused by binge drinking.
- A 2016 review from the journal Neurotoxicity Research found little evidence to support the use of CBD in treating alcohol withdrawal, but it did highlight CBD’s interaction with CB2 receptors as potentially effective in treating alcohol dependence.
- Furthermore, Dr. Melanie Bone, a medical marijuana specialist who works in Florida claims that CBD can contribute to harm reduction when it comes to problematic drinking. By having a positive influence on the body’s defenses and reducing alcohol cravings, CBD may help people minimize the side-effects of alcoholism.
- These are promising findings considering that alcohol withdrawals can be very serious, sometimes leading to death if not handled properly. It is advisable that you seek medical supervision before kicking the habit, even when trying to ease your symptoms with CBD.
Unfortunately, most of the studies were based on animal trials and not on human trials, which gives a reason to doubt CBD’s effects on alcohol drinks and their effects on humans. Consult your doctor before taking any CBD infused alcohol drinks as research is still going on to the right amount of dosage to be administered.