Since the original discovery of cannabis’ medicinal benefits years ago, it has been used as a form of treatment for various conditions. Cannabidiol, or CBD, is the plant’s main non-psychoactive component that can alleviate pain and nausea, as well as provide relief for symptoms of anxiety, inflammation, insomnia, and even depression. Recently, scientists got to know that CBD can also work for those afflicted with Lyme disease. But how exactly does it work? In this article, we will discuss how CBD can affect the treatment of Lyme disease. We will also delve into the relationship between CBD and Lyme diseases, then explore if it is indeed a new way of curing this disease.
What is Lyme Disease?
Lyme disease is a bacterial infection you get from the bite of an infected tick. At first, Lyme disease usually causes symptoms such as a rash, fever, headache, and fatigue. But if you do not treat it early, the infection can spread to your joints, heart, and nervous system. Prompt treatment can help you recover quickly.
Causes of Lyme diseases.
The main cause of Lyme disease is bacteria. In the United States, this is usually a bacterium called Borrelia burgdorferi. It spreads to humans through the bite of an infected tick. The ticks that spread it are black-legged ticks (or deer ticks). They are usually found in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Upper Midwest, Pacific coast, especially northern California.
These ticks can attach to any part of your body. But you can find them in hard-to-see areas such as your groin, armpits, and scalp. Usually, the tick must be attached to you for 36 to 48 hours or more to spread the bacterium to you. Anyone can get a tick bite. But people who spend lots of time outdoors in wooded, grassy areas are at a higher risk. This includes campers, hikers, and people who work in gardens and parks.
Symptoms of Lyme Diseases.
Early symptoms of Lyme disease start between 3 to 30 days after an infected tick bites you. The symptoms can include
- A red rash is called erythema migrans (EM). Most people with Lyme disease get this rash. It gets bigger over several days and may feel warm. It is usually not painful or itchy. As it starts to get better, parts of it may fade. Sometimes this makes the rash look like a “bulls-eye.”
- Muscle and joint aches
- Swollen lymph nodes
If you do not treat the infection, it can spread to your joints, heart, and nervous system. The symptoms may include;
- Severe headaches and neck stiffness
- Additional EM rashes on other areas of your body
- Facial palsy, which is a weakness in your facial muscles. It can cause drooping on one or both sides of your face.
- Arthritis with severe joint pain and swelling, especially in your knees and other large joints
- Pain that comes and goes in your tendons, muscles, joints, and bones
- Heart palpitations, which are feelings that your heart is skipping a beat, fluttering, pounding, or beating too hard or too fast
- An irregular heartbeat (Lyme carditis)
- Episodes of dizziness or shortness of breath
- Inflammation of the brain and spinal cord
- Nerve pain
- Shooting pains, numbness, or tingling in the hands or feet
CBD and Lyme Diseases.
Can CBD help treat Lyme Diseases?
Many specialists quickly resort to pharmaceutical antibiotics when treating this infection. However, scientific studies confirm the effectiveness of CBD to combat both mild and severe symptoms of this disease. These studies reveal that CBD has the ideal healing properties, making it an appropriate and adequate supplement to improve the quality of life of people suffering from this condition.
How can CBD treat Lyme Diseases?
There are different ways that CBD can help treat Lyme Disease. They include;
- The CBD compound exerts an antibacterial effect1.
- It decreases pain caused by peripheral neuropathy.
- CBD has properties that reduce headaches and nausea.
- The activities of CBD on the endocannabinoid system helps to strengthen the immune system.
- CBD also provides anticonvulsant properties and controls nerve episodes.
- Finally, one of the main properties of CBD is tackling anxiety and depression.
Can CBD prevent Lyme Diseases?
A study conducted in 2008 proves that the consumption of CBD-rich strains can effectively fight the bacteria that cause Lyme disease. The study further observed that the antimicrobial effect of CBD is highly effective against bacteria resistant to antibiotics.
Other studies show that cannabis can eradicate traces of spirochetes, which is one of the main causes of Lyme disease. This research is a work by a British Columbia medical expert who made his case about using CBD oil as a form of a treat
As personal testimonies, patients indicate that smoking CBD regularly helps to reduce the seizures they suffer as a result of this disease. Just like this, there are countless testimonies from patients who have managed to mitigate the ailments of Lyme disease thanks to the use of CBD. However, there is no scientific claim to back this up. it is also advisable to consult your medical practitioner before consuming or smoking CBD/ Cannabis.
Although medical studies do not reflect side effects after consumption of CBD, it is advisable to avoid physical overdoses of the compound. Once the body adapts to the compound it is likely to notice a significant improvement in Lyme disease symptoms. Nevertheless, it is important for a specialist to accurately advise or prescribe the appropriate dosage according to the progress of the disease.
To conclude, it can be said that a variety of studies and medical trials prove the effectiveness of CBD to adequately treat Lyme disease. Although further research is necessary, more and more patients share their testimony about the positive effects of this compound on their health condition.
Also, some doctors approve the consumption of natural supplements or strains rich in this substance as a compliment for patients suffering from Lyme, as long as they do not substitute the indicated pharmaceutical antibiotic treatments to eliminate bacteria from the organism and completely cure the disease.