Most women experience menstrual cramps at the start of their period. There have been suggestions and conventional medicine prescribed for this natural pain but scientists express fear of the side effects of these drugs. There is currently no 100% cure for menstrual cramps. Doctors recommend heating pads and low sugar diets but this most of the time does not stop this bad pain from occurring. CBD is a natural supplement that has been known for treating pain and inflammation. If you google pain, you’ll always see a part about CBD.
Many have wondered if CBD, being the main treatment for pain, can in any way help with menstrual cramps. CBD and menstrual cramps are currently undergoing medical evaluation and research to see the effects of CBD on menstrual cramps. Though CBD cannot totally eradicate the cramps, there is evidence that it helps to minimize the pain. To fully understand how CBD helps with menstrual cramps, we need to get a full grasp of what menstrual cramps are and what causes them.
Definition Of CBD
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a naturally occurring compound found in the resinous flower of cannabis, a plant with a rich history as a medicine going back thousands of years. Today the therapeutic properties of CBD are being tested and confirmed by scientists and doctors around the world. A safe, non-addictive substance, CBD is one of more than a hundred “phytocannabinoids,. These are unique to cannabis and endow the plant with its robust therapeutic profile.
CBD is closely related to another important medicinally active phytocannabinoid: tetrahydrocannabinol. THC is the compound that causes the high that cannabis is famous for. These are the two components of cannabis that have been most studied by scientists.
Both CBD and THC have significant therapeutic attributes. But unlike THC, CBD does not make a person feel “stoned” or intoxicated. That’s because CBD and THC act in different ways on different receptors in the brain and body.
The fact is that CBD is therapeutically potent as well as non-intoxicating. It is easy to take as a CBD oil. CBD is an appealing treatment option for those who are cautious about trying cannabis for the first time. There are different CBD products in the market that help with better usage, they include; CBD oil, CBD tablets and capsules, tinctures, topicals, edibles, and so on.
What Are Menstrual Cramps?
Menstrual cramps (dysmenorrhea) are throbbing or cramping pains in the lower abdomen. Many women have menstrual cramps just before and during their menstrual periods. For some women, the discomfort is merely annoying. For others, menstrual cramps can be severe enough to interfere with everyday activities for a few days every month.
Conditions such as endometriosis or uterine fibroids can cause menstrual cramps. Treating the cause is key to reducing the pain. Menstrual cramps that do not come from another condition tend to lessen with age and often improve after giving birth.
Symptoms Of Menstrual Cramps
- Throbbing or cramping pain in your lower abdomen that can be intense
- Pain that starts 1 to 3 days before your period. It increases 24 hours after the onset of your period and subsides in 2 to 3 days
- Dull, continuous ache
- Pain that radiates to your lower back and thighs
CBD and Menstrual Cramps
As mentioned before, CBD cannot totally eradicate Menstrual pain. The FDA is yet to approve of this natural supplement as a cure for Menstrual Cramps. There is also no research right now to back up the claims that CBD can help with menstrual cramps. However with an evaluation of how CBD eradicates pain in the body, one can boldly say that CBD has a strong reason to be used for menstrual pains.
How Does It Help Treat Menstrual Pain?
Just like we said, there aren’t any specific studies on CBD for period pain. But there are studies on CBD for pain in general. This means it might work for the hurt you feel around your time of the month.
- One study suggests that medical cannabis, of which CBD is a compound, can help with the treatment of chronic pain. But Scientists note that the study wasn’t controlled. It has also been shown to help reduce inflammation and pain-related behaviors in rats.
- That second study is especially compelling because a lot of the pain that you feel during your period is the result of inflammation. Prostaglandin, which you release after ovulation and right before your period starts, is an inflammatory chemical that contracts the muscles in your uterus, causing cramps. In fact, women with higher prostaglandin levels also have stronger, more painful contractions.
- So if CBD reduces inflammation, and inflammation causes cramps, the logic follows that CBD could reduce your cramps. It is, however, important to note that rats and humans don’t necessarily respond to chemicals the same way, so there are many steps between a study like this and efficacy of CBD for period cramps.
- Scientists have also discovered that CBD can actually inhibit the enzyme that produces prostaglandin, which can stop this whole mess before it even starts. But since there hasn’t been extensive research on the subject, it’s hard to say that there is a connection between CBD and pain reduction.
Benefits Of CBD for Menstrual Cramps
- CBD reduces tenderness
During your period, you may experience tenderness in your lower back, stomach, and chest. By massaging a few drops of CBD oil on the affected area, you can relieve some of the irritation and discomfort. This is because CBD regulates the body’s vanilloid receptor, which moderates pain perception.
- CBD reduces inflammation.
Some studies have shown that CBD oil can help to reduce pain by reducing inflammation and interacting with the brain’s neurotransmitters. One neurotransmitter, dopamine, comes when doing puzzles or exercising. CBD oil reduces inflammation by impacting the brain’s endocannabinoid receptor activity.
- CBD alleviates digestive problems.
Lower back cramping, abdominal cramping, and nausea are also commonly put together with the menstrual cycle. Fortunately, CBD can ease cramping and bloat by latching onto the cannabinoid receptors. As mentioned in the first point, just massage a few drops onto the affected area.