Cannabis has been in use all over the world as medicine for thousands of years. Its use spreads across Asia to the Middle East, where it originated. Also, medicals use it for the treatment of ailments and diseases. The exploration of cannabis for modern medicine began in the 70s. The discovery of two primary cannabinoids, THC and CBD, triggered this exploration. Cannabinoids contain properties that affect the body and the mind when consumed, but the effects vary between individuals. However, processing cannabis or hemp plants helps to make the cannabinoids ready for consumption. But in this article, let’s find out the difference between Pure and Raw CBD oil.
Significant Similarity Between Pure and Raw CBD oil
Producers use hemp plants to make CBD oil but process it in different ways. The Pure and raw CBD oil has the same raw material, the hemp plant, but the uniqueness in their preparation makes the difference.
Raw CBD Oil
The Raw CBD oil does not go through the heating or use of solvents. Producers use CO2 to extract CBD, and it does not only extract CBD. It removes other nutrients and essential substances contained in the hemp plant. This method is the most common process manufacturers use for CBD extraction.
- Carbon-dioxide extraction is the most complex form of getting oil from the hemp plant.
This is because it uses supercritical CO2 to remove the CBD oil from the hemp plant. “Supercritical” means Carbon dioxide in a partial gas state and a partial liquid state concurrently. The main reason why this process bears “Supercritical Fluid Extraction. “In the process of CO2 extraction, they expose Carbon-dioxide to extremely high and low temperatures. Then, they use pressurized pumps to form a liquidized CO2, which draws the oil from the plant. After this, they pass oil and CO2 into a final chamber where the gas evaporates, leaving the CBD oil.
- Retention Capacity
Due to non-heating and lack of solvents, the hemp plant retains vitamins, essential enzymes, and ingredients. This comprises of other cannabinoids like CBD-A, CBC, CBN, CBV, and CBG. To top it all, it retains terpenes, pigments, and phenol, which leads to the overall composition of Raw CBD oil. This is the main reason why manufacturers and users prefer Raw CBD oil amongst others.
- Process is Expensive
A major setback is that the CO2 extraction is quite costly. Regardless, it is not like the Bio CBD oil, which uses the whole hemp plant during production. Raw CBD oil has a bitter flavor compared to regular CBD oil.
Pure CBD oil
- Manufacturers obtain the CBD in Pure CBD oil from oil extraction. In this extraction, the only required ingredient is the top of the hemp plant, as most CBD can be gotten from the top of the shoots. This is different from the Raw CBD oil, which uses the whole hemp plant. It is the main reason behind the costly price of organic oil.
- Manufacturers extract CBD is from the plants by heating. During this process, all substances evaporate, leaving only the CBD. The volume of CBD written on the Pure CBD oil container is for only Cannabidiol (CBD) and does not comprise any cannabinoids. There are two significant ways to extract pure CBD oil;
Processing of Pure and Raw CBD Oil
- Steam distillation
This refers to the use of steam to separate the oil from the hemp plant. During processing, manufacturers place the hemp plant in a glass tube or flask with an in and outflow leading to another glass flask beneath it. This carries water for the boiling process. Then, they link the outflow to a condenser tube. After this, they boil the water in the glass flask beneath till it creates steam that goes up to the glass tube containing the hemp plant.
The oil vapor holding the CBD is separated. The outflow tube holds the oil vapors that neutralize them into CBD water and oil. Lastly, manufacturers distill the CBD water and oil to remove all the CBD leaving Pure CBD oil. This method has been used to extract oil from various plants over the years, but it is not as effective as CO2 extraction. It also requires lots of hemp plants, which does not leave an exact amount of CBD.
- Solvent Extraction
This method can be likened to steam distillation, but instead of water to separate and extract oil, solvents like hydrocarbon and ethanol are used for the process of extraction. Food grade ethanol is highly recommended. Some manufacturers take shortcuts and use non-food grade ethanol to reduce the cost, but this is dangerous to buyers and consumers. The CBD oil is mixed with the solvent, which in turn evaporates, leaving Pure CBD oil. Solvent extraction is more effective compared to Steam distillation, and the cost is less. The use of hydrocarbon solvents like butane, petroleum, or propane can pose a risk to consumers. Natural Solvents like ethanol can be used instead to avoid contamination, but this, in turn, affects its taste as chlorophyll might be extracted, leaving the oil with an unpleasant taste.
The major setback is that it is a costly procedure. Due to the use of only the top of the hemp plant, it is more expensive than the Raw CBD oil.
It has a nice and soft nut-like flavor and taste compared to Raw CBD oil’s bitter and sharp taste.
Raw CBD oil or Pure CBD oil; which is best for you?
- After a brief explanation of the differences, you might be wondering how they apply to their uses and what’s best for you. Our needs are different, and CBD is quite a complex substance.
Factors to consider before choosing CBD oil
You should consider the following factors when choosing a type of CBD oil;
- Due to the wide range of cannabinoids and necessary substances like terpenes, CBD, etc., most prefer the Raw CBD oil because they lose these substances in the process of making Pure CBD oil. Some might choose the Pure CBD oil due to the availability of enough CBD for quick digestion as the Raw CBD can be hard for people with gut problems to digest
- Generally, people with Alzheimer’s benefit from using Raw CBD oil, mild anxiety, depression, arthritis, fibromyalgia, chronic pain, psoriasis, and asthma, and other lung diseases, while Pure CBD oil relieves people with severe anxiety, ADD/ADHD, migraines, stress, and sleep issues. It also cures emotional stress and gives soothing relief.
- Moreover, the endocannabinoid system of each person has different effects. Experts recommend starting at a low and slow dose to determine bodily reactions and effects, no matter the choice of CBD oil. More research in years to come will hopefully shed more light on the effects of CBD oil. Until then, healthy supplements with a balanced diet topped with CBD oil will give you an improved quality of life.